Today I was featured as a guest on Unilag 103.1fm where I got to talk about Mushrooms, its beneficial effects as well as possible toxic effects. For the sake of those that didn’t or couldn’t get a chance to listen, I decided to give a summary of what was discussed on air. To do so, I came up ten interesting facts you should know about mushrooms.
1. Contrary to what most people think, mushrooms aren’t plants. They do not contain chlorophyll and do not need the sun’s energy for their growth.
2. Mushrooms are highly nutritious. Not only does water account for about 90% of their content, but they are also rich in essential nutrients such as proteins, vitamins and minerals.
3. Fats, Carbohydrates and Salt content of mushroom is LOW.
4. Modern scientific studies suggests that mushrooms can be useful for antibacterial, anti-inflammatories and antioxidants
5. Health benefits of mushroom consumption includes, relief from high cholesterol levels, stronger immune system, weight loss, aids in treatment
against cancer and diabetes etc
6. In ancient times, mushrooms were used as sources of dyes.
7. The world’s largest producer of edible mushroom is China which produces about half of all cultivated mushrooms.
8. Poisonous mushrooms are very deadly and could lead to serious health problems such as comas, nausea and vomiting and in really worst cases DEATH. (Do not go mushroom hunting except you’ve been trained and are qualified to do so.)
9. Edible mushrooms, which have been grown in controlled and sterilized environments are available for sale in grocery stores. Do not trust unknown sellers. Always go for sealed products from reputable stores or companies.
10. October is mushroom month.
In all , be very careful with mushrooms because as much as they be beneficial, they can also be dangerous.