If you’ve been following the blog or my Instagram account(@zell_a), you’d have noticed that I kind of have a slight obsession with the aforementioned topic. I don’t know if it has to do with want for personal improvement regarding the matter, or just a genuine and overall general interest in it. Whichever way it might seem, I can’t deny the tremendous benefits the knowledge of this subject matter has blessed me with.
The other day, while flipping through my notes, I managed to stumble on some excerpts I extracted from Dr. Travis Bradberry & Jean Greaves’ Emotional Intelligence 2.0 , and it was during this moment of re-reading the points I gathered from the book I understood how important this was to individuals and the general public as a whole. Plus, I made quick references as to areas where I had applied the techniques stated in this book and how much difference it had made, positively. With this, you must suspect that these are some of the reasons I decided to share my notes with you. Although, it’d be of greater help to read the entire text, I believe these points would also have a positive impact on whoever reads and tries to apply them to their daily lives.
Below is what I’ll like to call a summary of the text, covering the most important aspects of what the subject ( Emotional Intelligence) entails:
EQ SKILLS INCLUDE:
- Time management
- Decision making
- Change tolerance
- Stress tolerance
- Anger management
- Presentation skills
- Social skills
- Customer service
- SELF AWARENESS
- Have an understanding of what you do well.
- What motivates and satisfies you.
- Which people and situations push your buttons.
Having self-awareness means you aren’t afraid of your emotional mistake.
- SELF MANAGEMENT
- What happens when you do or do not act.
- Be aware of verbal outbursts.
- Congratulate others on achievements.
- Stress levels should be less revealed.
- Bluntness should be controlled.
- Do not speak negatively about a person, person’s opinion or idea.
- SOCIAL AWARENESS
- Pick up emotions in other people and understand what’s going on with them.
- Listening and observing (critical elements).
- RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Solid relationships are something that should be sought and cherished.
- They’re the result of how you understand people, how you treat them and the history you share.
SELF AWARENESS STRATEGIES
To be self-aware is to know thyself as you really are.
- Quit treating your feelings as good or bad.
- Observe the ripple effect from your emotions.
- Lean into your discomfort.
- Feel your emotions physically.
- Watch yourself like a hawk…
- Keep a journal about your emotions.
- Don’t be fooled by a bad mood.
- Don’t be fooled by a good mood either.
- Stop and ask yourself why do you do the things you do.
- Visit your values.
- Check yourself.
- Spot your emotions in books,movies and music.
- Seek feedback.
- Get to know yourself under stress.
So these are some of the tips to having a high level of emotional intelligence thereby improving your relationship with yourself as well as others. And remember to expect success, not perfection. Keep on practicing. Be patient. Always measure your progress.
Please share if you found this useful. Thanks.